Friday, March 2, 2007

Almost to Texas

My great friend Paul moved to Texas last month. He called an hour out from the border and left the following message on my voicemail.

“I am piercing into this heart of darkness. Traversing closer and closer to the borderline that will throw me into the state that still holds every right to withdraw from the union if she and all her constituents so wish.

"With every heartbeat and every breath I draw closer to this behemoth of a land mass that by all accounts is perhaps the last uncharted territory in this mapped out terra forma that we call home. Every second, every grain of pavement that I cross and my tires wear their rubber over, I draw nearer to this misunderstood, misinformed, mis-communicated wasteland of oil and rich people. Strippers that marry incredibly rich, old men. Hold on. I think you’re calling. Let me answer it. If you’re not, I love you, give me a call back.”

No comments: