Friday, March 9, 2007

Getting Old

On the rare Tuesday afternoons when I find myself motivated enough to immerse my body in chlorine for half an hour of breath control and shoulder pain, I find three inspiring women. All in their early to mid 70’s, these ladies pull on their pink floral bathing suits and 1980’s swim caps to invigorate their sagging bodies every week, twice a week. They flirt with the lifeguard. Each take a separate lane because they can’t quite swim straight enough to share one, and then keep a fairly even pace in the water.

I find one of these women of particular interest, primarily because she is more toned than Madonna (even with her progressed scoliosis), but also because I over hear her in the locker room talking about learning French, her upcoming vacation to Europe, her qualms with the public school system, and “why the hell’d they change daylight savings time.” I hope I’m like that when I get old.

Contributed by Aryn.

No comments: