Friday, August 3, 2007

A Bipartisan Brand

My friend, K., used to work as an assistant at the State Capitol in St. Paul. Over beers, he told me about a cigarette break he took with one of the state's power-brokers.

"There's this real right-wing state senator, who will remain unnamed, of course," K. smiled.

"Of course," I said.

"Anyway, let's just say she's a leading proponent of the Marriage Amendment, so you know I'm a fan," K. winced. "She comes out on the balcony where all the smokers hang out and she takes out her pack of Parliaments and then gets a good look at me and what I'm smoking and she notices that we're smoking the same brand. She remarks, 'Parliaments? I thought that was the brand of Edina house-wives.'"

K. sipped his beer. "I told her, 'No Senator. You got it all wrong. Parliaments are the brand of college liberals everywhere.'"

"What'd she say to that?" I asked.

"At least we agree on one thing," K. replied. "I think the whole event blew her mind a little bit."

No comments: