Friday, August 31, 2007

Coconuts with Life Jackets

I had coffee with my friend Danielle not too too long ago. She's an art student at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. She explained to me one of her sculptures featured in her senior exhibition coming this Fall.

The sculpture consists of white plaster molds of six coconuts cut in half. These plaster coconuts are floating in a milky-white pool. "But I painted bright orange life-jackets on each of the plaster coconuts," Danielle elaborated.

I smiled. "Why?"

She laughed. "I think I was playing with the idea that real coconuts would float in a pool, but these plaster coconuts wouldn't without life-jackets."

"Right..."

Danielle laughed again. "I don't know, really. I think I just thought it would look neat to have coconuts wearing life-jackets."

"Go with that if someone asks you what the piece means," I suggested. "It's make a lot more sense."

No comments: