Monday, December 3, 2007

A Dog Named Shelby

I was eavesdropping in the coffee shop today and I happened to overhear one of the girls behind the counter tell the following story to an older woman who had ordered a medium Americano.

"A girl I used to live with came in here the other day with her fiancé and this beautiful golden retriever pup they'd just bought. My friend holds the puppy up and introduces it, as proud as can be, 'This is our girl, Shelby.' And Mick, the owner of this place, busts up laughing from behind me. 'Honey,' Mick says, 'That's a boy dog.' My friend turns her dog around and, sure enough, the truth of the matter is pointing her straight in the face. I've never seen her turn so red. I haven't heard if they're going to rename it. Something like that just sticks."

No comments: