Sunday, March 16, 2008

Running Through Baltimore

Three AmeriCorps members and I made the trip into Baltimore on Saturday to help Moveable Feast, a not-for-profit that delivers meals to people with HIV/AIDS and breast cancer, pack up and move to their new permanent location across town. We worked through the morning at the old site and, after a two hour delay caused by a malfunctioning hydraulic lift on the back of the rental truck, we were ready to head to their new facility to unload.

Ted, a forty-something employed by Moveable Feast, rode shotgun in our van to make sure we arrived at their new facility without getting lost. Along the way, Ted pointed out a lean older man jogging down the sidewalk.

"You see that guy running over there?" Ted asked me.

"Yeah," I responded from the driver's seat.

"That guy runs everywhere. I've never seen him walk in all the years I've lived in Baltimore. He's run to D.C., to Annapolis, all over Maryland. The papers here have done stories on him."

"What's his back story?" I asked.

Ted thought while I continued to weave through the unpredictable melee of Baltimore City traffic. "I can't recall exactly," Ted said. "If I remember right, he just decided one day to start running. A Forrest Gump kind of thing." Ted laughed and added, "He's almost entirely lean muscle mass."

"I bet."

No comments: