Sunday, January 28, 2007

Moonlight Sonata

I have this dream. It is small, stupid, and beautiful.

I would like to learn to play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. It is the only song I want to learn and the only song I ever want to practice. I want my hands to grow arthritic playing that song. I want my back to weaken so I curl up into myself playing that song.

I want to walk into bars around the world, buy a beer, dust off the ill-tuned piano, set my drink next to me on the bench, close my eyes, and play just one song.

And, when someone--a sad person, most likely--thanks me for playing, I would say that I played for God, not them, but She must have wanted you here, so won't you please have a drink with me?

And, when we're on our second drink, this stranger and I, I will lead them over to the piano and teach them the first four measures of Moonlight Sonata. I would be gentle and relentless.

And, when this stranger grows frustrated and asks, "Why do I have to know this?" I would say, this warm wisdom in my near-sighted eyes, "So you will know that whatever happens, wherever you are, you have at least one incorruptibly beautiful thing inside of you."

Then the stranger and I would practice until the reluctant bar-keep would send us on our way.

I want to die playing that song. I want my graying and senile head to drop on the keys, during a rest before the end, so God will invite me to heaven just to hear the song one more time, all the way through.

Like I said. It's a small, stupid, and beautiful dream.

No comments: