Saturday, January 20, 2007

Rilke

Recently, I read a short story by my first-year advisor, Professor Christensen. It was published in The Hamline Review in 1999. In his story, "The Links of Things," Christensen reminisces about the summer following his graduation from college. He befriends an older woman, Mrs. Estelle "Windy" Windhorst, and she renews his faith in the human race.

Along the way, Mrs. Estelle "Windy" Windhorst encourages Christensen in his reading of the poet R. M. Rilke. About a road trip to St. Louis Louis, Christensen writes:

"Later in the trip we will blow one, then two, and finally three tires--this car needed to be on blocks as little as she uses it. I change the first tire. For the second blowout we have to drive on the shoulder, precious slow, until we reach a town on the Illinois border. When we consider all the patchings to come, we decide on four new tires. While another man changes the remaining tires, I copy Rilke's poem on the Roman fountain, the water of which falls from bowl to bowl, the bowls which give and disperse, keeping none for their own. Again this is supposed to be love without nostalgia...But Windy demurs: 'There may be some receiving. But, if love is real, then it is all about giving...'

"Professor Christensen introduced me to Rilke when I was a sophomore. We met most Wednesdays after lunch. I don't remember much of what we talked about. I think he was trying to keep me from going crazy.

One Wednesday, he handed me a tattered copy of Letters to a Young Poet. I read it the same day and purchased my own copy which I promptly gave away to a friend of mine now working in South Africa and another copy a year later to a friend in Duluth. I've included that book in a list I am compiling for my niece of things she should read some day.

I like that I can trace this book through time like a family tree. I like that it will be passed on.

No comments: