Monday, January 15, 2007

Pork Bone

In the book I went to Duluth to try and write, Vanity, I didn't survive the end of the world all alone. There was a monk with me in the bunker. He spent much of his time in deep meditation, doing his dutiful service as the world's last believer to keep a lonely God company.

The monk also spent a great deal of time coming up with new spiritual exercisesMy favorite had to be when he started examining every can of pork and beans stowed away in the bunker, trying to find the perfect can.

The monk said he was inspired by a certain institutionalized Japanese banker who spent his days in the courtyard underneath a cherry tree, searching for the perfect blossom.

I never did ask how the monk happened to know this banker. Even without an apocalypse, I don't feel I'm the one to question any one's sanity.One day, I asked the monk what would happen if he ever did find the perfect tin can.

He smiled and said, "Open up all the cans and start looking for the perfect pork bone, I imagine."

No comments: