Friday, May 4, 2007

Planting Carrots

My two-year-old was helping me plant the garden today. This is the third time we've been in the garden so far this year, so he's starting to get the hang of things. As I was busy getting ready to plant a row of onions I happened to look up and caught him doing something beautiful.

He had an unopened packet of carrot seeds (with the picture of carrots on the front) in his little hands and was planting it in its entirety in a big mound of dirt. He gently placed the packet of seeds and then carefully placed dirt over top of them. He then tapped the top of the dirt just like I'd shown him yesterday and smiled at what a fine job he had done.

Maybe by next year he'll understand that the seeds should come out of their package before you plant them, but I'm not sure it'll make me any happier than I was today watching him plant carrots in his own beautifully innocent way.

Contributed by Sarah.

No comments: