Friday, June 29, 2007

July 1, 1967



Forty years ago we almost didn't have a wedding. Two weeks before our selected date, the minister had resigned unexpectedly and left town. Panic ruled! Invitations had been sent out, out of town guests expected, and no one to marry us. This was small town USA. The Methodist Church did find someone to officiate for the afternoon.

Thankfully the replacement minister ran us through rehearsal the night before. After that we gathered at Denny's folks for lunch and gift opening.

I had made my gown of white Peau de Soie which had a rounded neckline, fitted bodice, and detachable train. The gown had full length sleeves with pearl buttons. Course then I weighed 95 pounds! My bridal bouquet was white stephenotis and pink roses along with ivy. My sister kept a cutting which grew and grew. (My green thumb wasn't as good as hers.) My daughter used cuttings from that plant as her reception arrangements for her wedding 10 years ago.

Nancy, maid of honor, wore a floor length gown of hot pink, a color she hated. Doris & Pat wore light pink.

The day was hot and humid which did nothing for our coiffed hairdos. At the farm, indoor plumbing had just been installed so preparations were easier. Silly me, I even let my sister help with my packing. She'd done a number on my suitcase--ten years later rice was still falling out!

As the processional began, bridesmaids sedately walked down the aisle. I almost fainted due to low blood sugar, and a bun was foisted upon me. Nancy, my maid of honor, stopped at the hallway and refused to enter. My dad gave her that steely look and pushed her out of the doorway and down the aisle. As we knelt at the alter, Denny's knees were knocking so bad due to nerves that the tacks holding the runner popped out.

Our honeymoon was along the North Shore but we were unprepared for the frost and cold weather. We had to use our Triple A card to scrape off the windshields.

We've been blessed with a terrific family, friends, tons of memories, and happiness.

Contributed by Ann

No comments: