Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Translation

[My friend, Aryn, works at a summer camp for people with special needs. She sent me the following story.]

One of my favorite campers holds that position because of the sheer dichotomous nature of his personality. His cerebral palsy affects his speech making him fairly hard to understand, but after several years of working with him I am fairly accustomed to it.

He is one of the most polite young men I know, always saying "Thank you," "I'm sorry," and "Please" emphatically. However, if you listen carefully, in the very next sentence he will utter "She's a f-----g b---h" or "That scared the piss out of me."

This puts me in an awkward position as to whether or not to interpret his phrases verbatim when other staff ask for translations.

Contributed by Aryn.

No comments: