Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Office

The office to many means a TV series or a place of work. To me, it's an evasive term tossed as a refrain as my son heads out the door heading for Dunn Brothers to work or study.

It's a phrase his uncle coined for a place the locals gather at a restaurant in the morning to discuss the state of world affairs, weather, crops, and neighborhood gossip. It's a spot where conversation flows while gallons of coffee are sipped. Sarcastic quips volley between those gathered. Deals are struck. Bloodlines are verified. Bartering is done for services needed. The exchanges are heated and humorous with a twist of one-up-manship. It's the hot spot to organize a work crew, arrange a hasta outing, recruit membership for the local historical society, check on neighbors needing a helping hand, the cheapest gas prices, and who's in town visiting relatives. It's an informal site where much is accomplished drawing a caring community together informally to reflect on how the world turns.

I can hardly wait for my next "office" visit in my childhood home of Chosen Valley. A sloppy grin floods my face as I reminisce about the outlandish claims sprouted by the challenging group. A mental note to myself: I'll need to sharpen my wits to be ready for the next onslaught of city slicker barbs!

Contributed by Ann.

No comments: