Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Letters Forever

I also wanted to add something small, stupid (I originally wrote "student." I guess that being a teacher has complete destroyed the word "stupid" from my vocabulary. I think it's a good thing.) and beautiful. But I'm not sure if I will make it sound as pretty as you write yours.

I'm watching a struggling student try to write "Santa" the other day. His 'S' wouldn't stand up straight, his stem was on either side of the 'a' and he kept forgetting the 'n.' I lightly wrote out "Santa" at the top of his paper. I told him he could trace mine before he started out on his own.

As I watched my student trace over my own letters that I had so carefully written, I realized that I'm teaching these kids how to write. They will write these letters forever, over and over again. I forget sometimes how beautiful it is to know that I'm part of these students' lives.

Contributed by Katey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd subscribe to eliminating the word stupid from students vocabulary!