Wednesday, December 20, 2006

"You're in the Wrong House"

It was the morning after Thanksgiving and I had a patient I was going to see at 7:00 a.m. She was a rather new patient for me, only had seen her a few times. She said she'd leave the garage door open for me.

It was very dark that morning and I was driving down her street and saw the garage door open with he light on, so I parked in the driveway and walked to the door, rang the bell and walked in with a cheery "Good Morning". The lady in the kitchen in her bathrobe all of a sudden didn't look familiar to me. She responded, "Good Morning. You're in the wrong house. You want to be next door. I just talked to her and she's waiting for you". Oh! My! Gosh! She was laughing and I was laughing. I must have been bright red.

So, I moved my car to the next driveway (which was around a little bend in the road so I didn't see it when I made my terrible mistake.) I parked in her driveway and walked through the garage through what I thought was an open door into the laundry room. Then, to my surprise, I walked right into a glass door, already mortified that I had walked into someone else's house. When I finally got to my patient and told her the "next-door neighbor story" we both laughed. She said that was her good friend and she probably got a good laugh too. (I never told her about smashing my face into her glass door.)

Contributed by Shelley.

No comments: