Sunday, February 10, 2008

Delaware City

On Tuesday, my AmericCorps team piled into our twelve passenger government van and headed to Delaware City. Our assignment was to explore this small town on the Delaware River and talk to its residents.

I met an older man as he closed up his antique shop on Main Street. He ducked back inside after I said hello to grab a pamphlet on the history of Delaware City.

"These were printed a few years ago," the old man said, "but they're still good."

I smiled and glanced through the brochure. "History doesn't change much, right?"

The old man smiled back. "No. I guess not."

"How's business?" I asked.

The old man sighed. "Bad. I might close down and try again someplace else. Things around here are getting better, though, but when you get to be my age, you can't wait around forever."

A stray cat jumped from a nearby fence onto the sidewalk and cozied up to the old man's leg. He reached down to pet it.

"Friend of yours?" I asked.

"Sure. This one's Nessa."

I squatted down to try and pet the cat and she shied away.

Don't take it personally," the old man chuckled. "She's a little skittish around strangers. I hardly ever see her in the summertime."

Another cat crept out of the alley and circled the old man.

"Another acquaintance of yours?" I asked.

The old man nodded. "That's Inky."

I smailed. "You seem to know every cat in town."

The old man laughed. "Everyone around here does. The postmaster in town, keeps her cat, Lucky, in the post office. Lucky will just lay up there on the counter all day, everyday, except Federal holidays, then she gets to stay home."

I laughed. "Thanks for the brochure. It was nice talking to you."

"You're welcome," the old man said, shaking my hand. "Come back in the summertime, if you can. That's when they start running the ferry to the Civil War prison. There's more to see then."

"Will you still be here?"

The old man stroked the cat, Nessa, again. "Oh. I imagine so."

No comments: