Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hand-Holding

I'm spending a week at a camp for people with physical disabilities in California. Today we took a group of people who are blind to a movie theater that offered headphones and gave a play-by-play of everything you see during the movie.

I was seated next to an 88 year old man named Tom who lost his sight at the age of 19. Tom is a brilliant man, successful in business, has several patented inventions, and has been married for almost forty years. About 45 minutes into the movie, Tom leaned over and whispered, "Would you mind if I held your hand for a few minutes?"

I decided, what the hell. So, for the remaining hour of sappy chick-flick, I held the hand of a sweet old man. I'll always wonder whose hand he pictured himself holding, but regardless of what he saw in his mind's eye, I was flattered.

Contributed by Aryn.

No comments: