Monday, February 25, 2008

The Snails of Irvine

When I drove through America last fall, I stopped in Irvine, California, to visit my friend, Louise. On the night I arrived, we decided to walk to a nearby restaurant for dinner.

As we walked, Louise said, "Watch where you step!"

"Why's that?" I asked.

"When it gets dark and damp like this, the snails cover the sidewalk. My heart breaks a little when I hear one crunch beneath my foot when I'm not paying attention."

I stared down at the sidewalk and walked lightly, but didn't spot any of Irvine's snails until Louise and I reached the restaurant. I stopped short and pointed it out to her. Louise knelt down, picked the snail up off the concrete, and gently placed it on a leaf of a decorative shrub going along the sidewalk.

"That's one no one will step on tonight," she said.

No comments: