Friday, February 29, 2008

Two-Face

Last night, I ran into a Corps member from Minnesota I hadn't seen in a few days. He flew out West over the long weekend to visit his mother who is dying of liver disease.

"I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish my year of service," he said. "The doctors say her liver could fail any day and I want to stay in the program, but I also don't want to get a call in the middle of the night, you know?"

I nodded and laid a hand on his shoulder. "You have to do what you feel is right. This program will always be here waiting for you."


"I know." He broke into a sudden grin as we looked at one another. "You notice what I did to my face?"

I studied him carefully and then laughed. "You shaved only half of your face. Why?"

He shrugged. "Just thought I'd do it, you know, and see if anyone says anything."

I grinned. "You look like a comic book character. Like Two-Face or something."

He laughed and we went our separate ways.

No comments: